Recently, I asked a few of my mentors what would be their first step if their business dried up and they had to start again from scratch.
They ALL said that step one would be to start building their email list. That’s because no matter how the rules change in social media – your email list belongs to you. Even though there are many new ways to get in touch with customers including text messages, Facebook chat bots, etc. Email is still going to bring your sales over time.
It is never too soon to start building your list. Any work you put in now will be paid back many fold in the future.
That’s why I’ve developed this checklist so you can be sure you have all the right pieces in place.
Here’s what you need to get started:
An Enticing Lead Magnet
This could be an ebook, video, app, e-course or anything else that has the following characteristics:
- It’s easy to deliver. (Typically, a digital download that you deliver automatically through your autoresponder.)
- It’s something your prospects really want. (Hint: do your market research to find out what it is that people really want.)
- It has a high perceived value.
- It solves a specific problem.
- It sells something else on the backend (such as your tripwire product).
A Compelling Opt In or Lead Page
Even though your lead magnet is free, people aren’t going to knock down your door to claim it unless you build its value. That’s why you need to create a lead page that persuades people to fill in your opt-in form.
Keep these tips in mind:
- Be sure your lead page looks polished and professional.
- Lead with your product’s main benefits.
- Arouse curiosity about the lead magnet if possible. (With the
- idea being that the only way to satisfy that curiosity is by opting in.)
- Offer a call to action to get people opting in.
We really like Thrive Themes for lead pages.
A Reputable Autoresponder
Nowdays, it is fairly easy to find an autoresponder that will work for you without spending much money at first. Our two recommendations are Mailerlite (which is has everything you need to get started and is free up to 1,000 subscribers) and Active Campaign (which has more features than Mailerlite and is a good next step).
An Initial Autoresponder Sequence
Generally, this multipart sequence should promote your tripwire product. A tripwire is a very valuable yet inexpensive product. Keep these tips in mind:
- Offer an informational sequence that’s useful (to build good relationships and keep people reading), yet incomplete (which helps you steer people towards paid products).
- Provide a three to seven-part sequence that’s informative and engaging. Each email should build anticipation for upcoming emails. E.G., “Next time you’ll discover a little-known trick for getting rid of cellulite!”
- Craft benefit-driven, curiosity arousing subject lines to get the open. E.G., “Start a six-figure business for just $47?”
- Use responsive templates/HTML in your emails, as a large number of your subscribers will be reading your message from their mobile phones.
- Track and test your emails. It’s the only way to know what’s really working in terms of email subject lines, sales copy, calls to action, and even the offers themselves.
A Commitment to Maintaining Your List
It does you no good to go through all these steps if you don’t intend to email
your list regularly. So, commit to emailing them on at least a weekly basis, and you’ll see your list profits grow!
[thrive_megabutton mt=”Get More Tips for Email Marketing Success” st=”Download Our Email Marketing Playbook” color=”green” link=”https://solobizhacker.com/email-playbook/” target=”_blank” align=”aligncenter”]